Being from Maryland, I grew up loving Crab, and Maryland Crab Soup was amazing. So I set out to make a vegan version. The trick to this soup is the level of heat. You want it to be spicy, but not detract from the rest of the ingredients.
So in deciding to make this soup I didn’t really know what to use as the crab. In the past I have used Artichokes, or Hearts of Palm. And then I thought about Jackfruit. I have used it in the past as Pulled Pork, and I thought it would be perfect for mimicking the texture of Lump Crab Meat.
In order to get the taste of the Sea into the Jackfruit you are going to need dried seaweed. First drain 1 can of Young Jackfruit in Water or Brine, not syrup. This can be found at most Asian Markets. Bring 4 cups Water, 1 tbsp Salt, 1 tsbp Dry Mustard, 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar, and 1 cup of Seaweed. I used Nori Crinkles. Reduce heat to low, and add the drained Jackfruit. Cover, and cook for about 30 minutes.
While the Jackfruit is cooking, you are going to want to prepare your vegetables. Lets start with the celery first. You are going to dice about 6 stalks of Celery to get about 1 to 1.5 cups Celery. Next Slice about 4 Carrots, to yield 1 to 1.5 cups. Next chop one medium Onion. Mince 3 cloves of Garlic. Dice one Medium Russet Potato, yielding about 2 cups. And finally we are going to chop 1 bag of Green Beans. I cut mine in thirds, but you can cut them to your preferred length. Set all of these aside.
Next drain the Jackfruit, and shred with a fork to create a crab like texture, and set aside.
Heat a large Soup Pot over medium-high heat. Add about 1 Tbsp Olive Oil to the heated pot. Add Onion and Garlic, and saute for about 3-5 minutes until soft.
Next add in the Celery, and saute for another 2 minutes. Stir the Mixture before adding the Carrots, and saute for another 2 minutes.
Next add in a large can of Whole Plum Tomatoes. Make sure you break them apart with a wooden spoon or spatula once they are added. Stir to combine before adding in a small con of Tomato Sauce.
Next add in one 1 Not Chik’n Bouillon Cube, 4 Cups Vegetable Broth, diced Potatoes, 2 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning, 1/4 Cup vegan Worcestershire Sauce, 2 Bay Leaves, 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar. Stir until the Bouillon cube is dissolved.
Cook for about 10 minutes before adding 1 can of Corn, Chopped Green beans, Jackfruit, and 2 Tbsp Hot Sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to make sure the potatoes are tender.
- Mock Crab:
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Dry Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Cup Nori Crinkles
- 1 Can Young Jackfruit, in water or brine, drained
- For the Soup:
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Not Chik'n Bouillon Cube
- 2 Tbsp Old Bay
- ¼ cup Vegan Worcestershire
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 28oz Can Plum Tomatoes
- 1 small Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp Hot Sauce
- 4 Carrots, sliced
- 5 Stalks Celery, diced
- 1 Can Corn
- 1 Bag Green Beans, chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 1 Medium Russet Potato, deiced
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- To make the Mock Crab:
- Bring Water, Salt, Dry Mustard, and Rice Vinegar, and Nori Crinkles to a boil. Add Jackfruit, reduce heat, cover and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a large Soup Pot over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 Tbsp Olive to the pot, and saute Onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Next add Celery and saute for 2 minutes.
- Next add Carrots, and saute for 3 minutes.
- Next add in a large can of Whole Plum Tomatoes. Make sure you break them apart with a wooden spoon or spatula once they are added. Stir to combine before adding in a small can of Tomato Sauce.
- Next add in one 1 Not Chik'n Bouillon Cube, 4 Cups Vegetable Broth, diced Potatoes, 2 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning, ¼ Cup vegan Worcestershire Sauce, 2 Bay Leaves, 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar. Stir until the Bouillon cube is dissolved.
- Cook for about 10 minutes before adding 1 can of Corn, Chopped Green beans, Jackfruit, and 2 Tbsp Hot Sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.