So when I first went vegan I was really worried that I would never be able to eat my favorite food. I thought that I was doomed to live a life without grilled cheese, but boy was I wrong. Vegan cheese has gotten so much better over the years, and I am so glad I can eat grilled cheese again! Grilled cheese is probably my all time favorite food. I think it is because I can be very creative with my grilled cheese.
A lot of people when they first go vegan are craving foods that they remember, and so fake meats a cheeses are a good place to start. I try not to eat a lot of processed foods, but since it is US Veg Week I thought I would share recipes that are a great jumping off block. I am not one to preach about veganism, but I can tell you my family and I are much healthier and happier eating this way.
Now you can make your own vegan cheese, but for the purpose of this I will be using Follow Your Heart cheeses. This grilled cheese is definitely going to be a grownup grilled cheese, as it is going to have the spice kicked up a knotch. I used to love jalapeño poppers, and I though a vegan jalapeño popper grilled cheese was just what the doctor ordered.
I am using roasted jalapeños, since the traditional poppers are roasted in the oven. The smell of jalapeños roasting in the oven is intoxicating, and smelling them just makes my mouth water. I also made a cream cheese blend that uses vegan cream cheese, Vegenaise, and some spices. I really hope you enjoy this recipe!
So since making the jump and becoming a vegan, I have changed my grilled cheese technique. First, I butter the bread, then I grill it in the pan, with some more vegan butter. Then I remove from heat, and the ingredients, but the sandwich together, and make the cheese melt.
- 4 Jalapeños, roasted
- 2 Tbsp. Vegan Cream Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Mayo
- Dash Garlic Powder
- Dash Onion Powder
- Dash Parsley
- 2 Tbsp. Chives, minced
- 2 slices Mozzarella
- 2 slices Cheddar (I used Follow Your Heart)
- 2 Tbsp Butter, plus more for spreading on the bread
- 4 Slices Bread
- Preheat Oven to 400.
- Meanwhile, mix together next 6 ingredients until smooth.
- Roast Jalapeños for 20 minutes.
- Once Jalapeños are roasted place in sealed plastic bag for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread vegan butter on bread, and melt butter in a pan.
- Grill bread in pan, in melted butter, once lightly browned remove from heat.
- Remove Jalapeños from bag, and peel.
- Once peeled, slice and remove seeds
- Spread cream cheese mixture on one piece of bread, add 2 of the sliced Jalapeños, and 1 slice of each cheese, do these for each sandwich.
- Close sandwiches and grill until melted.
Comment below and tell me what you like on your grilled cheese! Also, if you make this tell me how it worked out for you!