One of my favorite things to get is a burrito bowl, and it just so happens to be one of my favorite things to make. This recipe is not one of the easiest, but it is mighty tasty. Plus, you can never go wrong with Sofritas. These have the perfect amount of heat and are perfect for your taco nights!
Press and Bake:
Cut two Extra Firm Tofu in half, and wrap in cloths; press for 30 minutes between two cutting boards under something heavy. Preheat oven to 350. Bake pressed tofu for 15 minutes on each side; until lightly golden on the outside.
Sear the Tofu:
Heat 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil in a Cast Iron Skillet, add half of the tofu and cook 4-5 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining tofu. Drain on paper towels until cool enough to handle.
Juice your Limes:
Juice two limes, and set aside.
Prepare the Sauce:
Roast 1 Poblano Pepper over an open flame until charred, place in a zip-lock bag and seal. Let sit five minutes, and then remove the skin. Remove stem, cut in half and remove the seeds. In a food blender, combine 2 Chipotle Peppers, 3 Tbsp. Adobo Sauce, Poblano Pepper, 2 Garlic Cloves, 1 Tbsp. Ground Cumin, 2 tsp. Ground Oregano, 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste, 2 Tbsp. Lime Olive Oil (or plain), 1 tsp. salt, 1 Tbsp. Sugar, reserved Lime Juice, and 1/4 cup water. Process until smooth; set aside.
Tear and Chop:
Now that the tofu is cool, shred and chop the tofu into pieces and add to cast iron skillet over medium heat.
Sauce it Up:
Add the sauce to the skillet and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. This will ensure that any raw garlic taste is removed, and that any excess liquid is absorbed. Use sofritas in a burrito bowl or in tacos. I like to serve this over Cilantro Lime Rice, and top it with Vegan Sour Cream and Guacamole. You can add any other desired toppings. Some of my personal favorites are sliced black olives, black beans, pico de gallo, and pickled jalapenos.
- 2 Extra Firm Tofu, cut in half and pressed
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil, divided
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 1 Poblano Pepper
- 2 Chipotle Peppers
- 3 Tbsp. Adobo Sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp. Lime Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- ¼ Cup Water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Roast one Poblano Pepper over an open flame until charred, place in a zip-lock bag and seal. Let sit five minutes; remove skin. Remove stem, cut in half and remove seeds.
- In a food processor, combine the juice from the limes, the poblano pepper, and next 10 ingredients. Process until smooth and set aside.
- Bake tofu for 15 minutes on each side, until lightly golden.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the tofu and cook 4-5 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining tofu. Drain on paper towels until cool enough to handle.
- Once the tofu is cool enough to handle, shred and chop into pieces and add to a cast iron skillet oven medium heat.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.