I lived in North Carolina for 3 years, they have their own style of BBQ. Their’s is more vinegary, I prefer this style, but honestly I don’t really have a preference. Adam prefers the Kansas City style, which is a tomato based style. Adam prefers this style, so I opted to do a KC Style Sauce.
The best part of this sauce is that I used my Homemade Ketchup. There is no corn syrup and it has just the right amount of kick. Oh, and you cannot forget the bourbon! The boozy flavor of this BBQ sauce, mixed with some heat, and smoke is what makes this one kick-ass sauce! Plus you won’t miss all of those other pesky ingredients in store bought sauce.
So there are definitely a lot of ingredients to this recipe, but I promise the pay out is well worth it! Plus once all the ingredients are in the pot, all you need to do is keep an eye on it for the next 30 minutes. I promise you will not regret making this BBQ sauce, and you probably will never buy BBQ sauce again. That is, if you are not feeling lazy, and trust me I TOTALLY get that.
First you need to smash some garlic. For this sauce, that is all you need to do. No need to waste your time mincing garlic! After you have smashed your garlic, heat 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil in a pot. Once heated (about 2 mins), add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, smoked paprika, red pepper, season all, and cloves, cook and stir for about 3 mins, until the paste is dark brick red.
Add the ketchup, water, vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, salt, tamari, Vegan Worcestershire, ground mustard, black pepper, and bay leaf. Adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the flavors come together, about 30 minutes. Add about 2-3 Tbsp Bourbon, and stir for another 5-10 minutes. Taste and adjust flavors to your preferences! Remove and discard bay leaf before using.
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 slightly heaping tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or less depending on heat preferences)
- ¼ teaspoon season all
- Pinch ground cloves
- 2 cups ketchup (I used homemade)
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- ¼ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 tablespoon Tamari
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Worcestershire sauce (I used Wizards brand)
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 Tbsp Bourbon
- Smash Garlic.
- Heat oil in pot for about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, smoked paprika, red pepper, season all, and cloves. cook anbd stir for about 3 minutes until the paste is dark brick red.
- Add the ketchup, water, vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, salt, tamari, Vegan Worcestershire, ground mustard, black pepper, and bay leaf. Adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the flavors come together, about 30 minutes.
- Add Bourbon and cook 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard bay leaf before using.
Comment below and tell me what your favorite style of BBQ sauce is! Use this recipe for your favorite dish, or use it to make my Slow Cooker BBQ Jackfruit (Recipe coming soon)! If you make this recipe, use #VeganFakinGood